Thursday, July 29, 2004

You're gonna regret that for the rest of your life... Both seconds of it.

I got home and I was bored, so I played a bit.


I'm still thinking about it.  20 years.  That's a long time.  Now, don't worry, because I'm not one of those maudlin types that laments lost futures.  I tend to think more in terms of what we have now, and how advanced the generation of my children is , and has still yet to be.

Hell, I remember when cd players came out, for crying out loud.  A t.v. without a remote?  Unheard of.  A black and white t.v.  You're kidding right?  I have a friend, L, once told her mom that the t.v. was broken because there was no color.

My 9 year old niece is faster on a computer than some of the people I work with.  It's just amazing, and it's only getting worse/better.  Technology, by it's very nature experiences what is called an 'exponential' growth.  In the simplest terms, growth is by doubling: i.e.  128k becomes 256 et. al.

Even things like microwave ovens.  Do you remember the first one you ever saw?  I do.  Was an Amana Radarange.  Huge, shiny, silver thing.  Owned by the 'rich people' who's house we sat while they were away.  Plush digs, too.  They had remote control t.v.'s, all big.  I remember when Jim bought a Sony Betamax/t.v. combo.  Must have been like 1974-1975.  Had to have cost beaucoup bucks.

Just my thoughts tho.

Later,

T.

p.s. the old pentium is still winning...sigh...

1 comment:

lady godiva said...

my mother did not want a microwave...she said they would make her lazy...lol...
but after she got one - then she never used anything else...
she was right