Monday, May 30, 2005

He's a rebel and a runner, he's a signal turning green

I need to quit hitting the return key when I am in fact thinking 'hit the tab key.'

It's been a hectic few days.

Work has been BUSY as hell. Today, or so I am told will be even worse, as everyone (mostly) that we answer for will be closed in observance of Memorial Day.

By the way, if I haven't said it, "Thank You, all you veterans, and surviving members of veterans families. I love my life the way it is, and without you we'd be nowhere."

I'm pretty sure that tomorrow is gonna suck at work too, as everybody that's been calling all weekend will be calling tomorrow because all the offices will be open again.

Now, again, I can't get into details too much, but some calls from the last few days include:


  1. A lady in Hawaii that had no air conditioning in her unit (nothing I can do)

  2. A lady whose dog had been bitten in the nose by a rattlesnake (14 minute lapse)

  3. A gentleman whose wound had opened up and was seeping (talk about an overshare)

  4. A lady whose U-haul was stolen mid-move with all her and her children's worldly posessions inside.(she was crying, and it broke my heart)

  5. A disgruntled Viet Nam vet that told me "If I had a gun, I'd kill all these fuckers!!" (and that was the mildest comment he had)



You get the picture. Variety is the spice of life, or so they say. Well, if that's true, then I'm thinking that stupidity must be the sauce.

I can't tell you how many times I stop someone in the middle of a rolling diatribe and say 'You know, you've actually come into the answering service. I can get a message to the office, but they're closed right now," only to have the customer continue, unabated, with their spiel, at the end of which I'm forced to repeat the above.

The nearly universal response? "They're closed?" Followed by my again offering to take a message and get it to the office, and them then asking ME if I can help them.

It takes a while, but most people usually figure out that while I may be answering the phone, I have little else to do with the company, and, therefore, can't track an order, patch them through to voice mail, or run down the hall and tell someone they have a call.

Ok...I have to get in the shower now, so I'm going to sign off.

Before I go though, I'm going to leave you with some words of wisdom from William Shakespeare:

"How poor are they who have not patience! What wound did ever heal but by degrees."

T.

No comments: