Friday, May 27, 2005

Workin' in a coalmine, goin' downtown

Well, ok, not a coalmine, but my backyard.

The weather here has finally turned nice, so I spent yesterday cleaning all the sawdust (woodstoves do have a drawback) and assorted winter detrius out of the yard, restacking the leftover wood to reclaim the porch space, and garden maintainance.

Poppa and I went to Long's drugs, which for those of you that don't have them are similar to Ekards, or Walmart without the size. We bought some tomato plants, a couple pepper plants, and a couple strawberry plants.

We also bought a couple bags of bullshit.....Er, I mean steer manure. I borrowed a shovel, turned the dirt, dumped a bag, turned again, dumped again, turned again and planted. Whew. Sweaty work, as the sun was a'shinin. I was smart enough to do it in stages so that I didn't burn, but I did get some much-needed sun.

Then, as if to show approval for my day's work, Mother Nature favored us with a nice mellow thunderstorm. The lightshow was great ( i love thunder and lightning) and the rain, while lasting quite a while was very gentle.

Here's hoping that we get a bumper crop of veggies this year. Not much else going on right now, except for work. I have to leave in just over an hour, and I work until 9, not that any of you really care about my schedule.

Guess that's all for now.

Fiesta con carne,

T.

No comments: