Sunday, April 01, 2007

It was almost more than I could (pall)bear...

So, I've done it.

I've attended my 3 funeral in 5 months.

Let's see, I've buried:

1. My 16-year-old cousin Justin.

2. My 22-year-0ld friend Olivia.

3. My 76-year-old uncle Pat.

It hasn't been an easy run, as I'm sure you can understand, but there have been some good things too. At Justin's funeral, for instance, I saw lots of family I'd not seen in forever and we actually made plans to (and followed up, no less) get together for reasons other than someone's death (see recent Gma's bday post).

At Olivia's passing, I was very melancholy. She was taken from her loved one way too early as well. I think about Skylar, and wonder what his life will be like. I can't imagine it. My boss did a very noble thing when Olivia died. He set up a trust for Skylar. I won't go into the gory details, but he should be set.

Uncle Pat's funeral saw another gathering of family long-missed. Again, it was a sad occaision, but even so we managed to have some good times as well. Pop's and my trip was surprisingly easy. We encountered almost no traffic, and spent far less that we had expected. Of course, we all again fell to the 'we only see each other when someone dies' lament, and exchanged phone numbers.

We'll see what happens. This is the notoriously procrastinitory branch of the family. I have hopes, but we shall see.

I have a couple funny things to go into, and will do so soon. I have a few pix to download first, but look for something tomorrow (if i get motivated).

Oh, and btw as I was sitting in the service room talking to my sister and some other members of my family I felt a discrete tap on my shoulder. It was my aunt Marilyn (the widow) asking me if I would be a pallbearer. Not knowing what else to say, I accepted.

Now that I think about it, tho I think I see a pattern. Of the 6 of us asked, 5 were his nephews. The 6th was his youngest daughter's boyfriend.

Ok, think I'm going to wind this up for now, but I'll be around shortly.

Peace,

T.

No comments: