Saturday, March 19, 2011

I've decided to start a paper and dice game....

Well, not like invent one, but you know, just run one.

For a number of reasons, I've decided to use the 1st edition AD & D ruleset. Well, as a guideline at least. I plan to simplify some things and just generally make it more fun to play.

It's been forever since I've run (or even played in) a paper and dice campaign, so I'm planning on doing some things to spice up the gameplay, in hopes of sparking interest, and providing a more interactive experience.

In that vein, I've been thinking about scale model props and such. While in this frame of mind, I was stripping motherboards for processors and heat sinks when I found something remarkable:


Now, to me, this looks very much like some ornate Edwardian era table leg. That it should be in a computer seems slightly incongruous (boy does thatword look wrong), and the function it performed was very unique.

It was holding a processor board to a very low tech heat sink:



See that thin, flimsy aluminium stuff? Yeah, that was folded and glued to the piece in the back, and the whole thing was held to the processor by 2 of the plastic 'legs' from the first picture. I figured since the legs were coming from the computer that I should try and see what other props I could fashion from computer parts.

So far, all I've really made is the table top:




In case you can't tell, that's the 'heat sink' flattened out and painted. I did make a border of wooden dowels cut to size, but mostly this table will be constructed from a computer heat sink.

Which is cool, right?

I have grand plans to make more props for the game, and I'll keep you posted on that (if any of you care) so you can see my unparalleled crafting skillz.

On a completely unrelated note, Michael and I had a scheduled a photo walk, but as the weather was snowy here, and I didn't want to get my gear wet, I opted for inside photos to his outside ones.

As usually happens when I'm shooting indoors, I started playing with macro.

We exchanged gps numbers, and as you can see, I really need to invest in a carry around notebook:



I haven't really played with all the images I made yesterday, but I do have a couple to share with you. The 3 I'm going to share all started with the same image, and then I did some tweaking with the levels. And before you ask, yes, I really can stack 3 dice like that. No glue, no tricks, just a steady hand.








Ok, that's all for now.

Expect a big update and prolly tons of photos when my new camera arrives.

Buenos con queso,

T.

1 comment:

Blissful Babe said...

Ooooooh. Totally rad, dude.
And yes, little notebooks are handy to have around. And cheap. Try it. :)

*snort*