Tuesday, June 24, 2008

You can't have your cake and eat it too.....

Uhm, yeah, you can.

In fact, you kinda have to have your cake in order to eat it, don't you?

I mean really, how can you eat it if you don't have it?

Now, a good trick would be to eat your cake and have it too.

Once you've eaten it, you don't really have it anymore. It's inside you, sure, but that's a pretty intangible thing.

You can't pick it up.

You can't see it.

Thus, you don't have it.

That phrase has always pissed me off, and I just thought I'd finally get that off my chest. The next time you hear someone say 'you can't have your cake and eat it too,' please show them the error of their phrase.

Buenos con queso,

T.

7 comments:

Beth said...

I think that saying refers to still HAVING said cake after having eaten it already. Meaning, you can't eat the cake and STILL have the piece of cake to break off a piece whenever you want to.

Catch muh drift??

Just thought I would clear that up.
Clear as mud, no?

T.J. said...

Yes, dear, I know what is supposed to mean, but the way it's phrased is wrong.

Thus my correction: You can't eat your cake and have it too.

See what I did there?

T.

Kelwhy said...

oh, i see...

you're bored - aren't you??? ;)

Beth said...

*stares at you*

Don't make me hurt you, Mr. Snarky.

:D

Beth said...

Oh...and furthermore the saying goes like this...

"You can't have your cake and eat it, too."

*ahem*

T.J. said...

Yes, and that was my title....

Can you possibly eat your cake without having it? I don't think so, so you have to have your cake to eat it.

T.

Princess Sparkle Pants said...

How about "I could care less". Does that one drive you bananas, too?