Friday, August 19, 2005

Cogito, ergo sum.

That's latin, if you didn't know. The words of a Frenchman, born in 1596.

Rene Descartes, to be exact. He was a mathematician.

He was a philosopher.

There's a line in the second paragraph that caught my eye:

The two most widely known of Descartes' philosophical ideas are those of a method of hyperbolic doubt, and the argument that, though he may doubt, he cannot doubt that he exists.


I remember reading a little Decartes in high school. There was a part of his work, I can't rightly remember the title now, but I remember the gist.

Descartes put forth that the one human trait that exsisted in perfect abundace was common sense, because everybody believes that they have all the common sense they need.

Something like that anyhow. It's kinda scary, if you think about it.





On another topic; no neice. Sister is now 6 days late. I think that if she doesn't pop tomorrow, they'll induce. May be one day later, I'm not sure how it works. I do know that she said a week past her due date, which was 8/13.

The plans for Dland have begun. So have the battles. Looks like an early September trip this time. I'm pretty excited. I love Dland.

Oh, yeah...Poppa got his check yesterday, so he's treating to a couple bucks over at the:

Well, it' 1:00, and that's the time I set for bed tonight. Hope all is well with all of you.

Oh yeah, the title? Another little gem that Descartes came up with.

I think, therefore I am.

T.

ps if you see typos and such please forgive me in a battle to be less critical of myself im seeing how relaxed i can be about it all

No comments: