Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I wanna buy Alanis Morisette a dictionary.....

Or at least give her a link to this page.

Now don't get me wrong, I actually like her music, tho as with most artists, I like the stuff that doesn't ever get played better than the stuff that gets totally overplayed.

Simply put, irony is when, in a given statement, the literal meaning is the opposite of the implied meaning.

It's not winning the lottery and dying the next day.

Nor is it 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife.

A traffic jam when you're already late?

Not even fucking close.

Your plane crashing the first time you fly?

Eh, it hints at irony, but by the strictest definition, you should pardon the pun, still falls far short.

Rain on your wedding day?

While all of the things mentioned in her song are unplesant, some even tragic, not a single one of them is ironic.

A no smoking sign on your cigarette break?

What the fuck? How is that ironic? It's inconvenient, but hardly ironic.

Maybe she should have called the song 'Tragic.' Or 'Inconvenient,' but 'Ironic?'

No fuckin' way baby.

Tho, naming a song 'Ironic' and having no instances of irony in it is kinda ironic, dont ya think?

Buenos con queso,

T.

6 comments:

sue said...

LOL!

Beth said...

Babe? Did someone piss on your bacon this morning??

*pets you*

*humps you, a lot*

:D

Kelwhy said...

really - if you've got something to say, just say it already...

haha!

Princess Sparkle Pants said...

I've had this thought many times myself. And I LIKE Alannis, I just also appreciate the correct usage of literary terminology. So thanks. Maybe she'll read this and will apologize to the masses. I'm so glad you finally got a chance to set 1995 straight!

T.J. said...

Kat: I stick my tounge out at you.

Kelwhy: I grin at you.

PSP: I totally love her music, but everytime I hear that sone (like 2-3 times a day now see my radio post) it drives me apeshit.

T.

T.J. said...

eep..

Sue: I laugh with you.

T.