Wednesday, August 20, 2008

What's wrong with the radio.....

I've mentioned that I live in a small radio market, and that there are only 4 staions programmed into my car stereo. If you didn't read it before, well, you know it now.

Let me start by saying that I'm a big fan of music. I have been for many years now. I like just about everything (except (c)rap which i dont consider music) tho I admit that sometimes I have to be in the mood to listen to a particular type.

For most of us, the only music we listen to comes from the radio. Now, I know, we have MTV (which doesnt really play music anymore anyhow) and VH1 and the like, but most of us aren't watching t.v. in our car, and when we are watching, it's sitcoms, Jeopardy! or whatever it is you watch.

No, radio is, and has been my primary connection to music for as long as I can remember. I've noticed some trends (some lately some recurring) that are really pissing me off, and I'll now rant about them in no particular order.....

Commericals


Now, this is not to say that I mind commericals on the radio. I don't. I see commericals as little stories that let us have radio for free. If it wasn't for them, all radio would be pay radio like XM and Sirius. No, my problem lies in the fact that they are so unrelentingly fucking stupid.

For crying out loud, given the technical age that we live in, I know that they could make better commericals. Hell, if you fuckers can't figure it out, give me a call. As someone that's really tough to sell to, I can give you ads that are fun, smart, and effective. Stop pandering and condescending to me you assholes!!

Repetition


Now, I know I kind of set myself up for this, as Classic Rock is my chosen genre, and there are only so many bands that can be considered Classisc Rockers, but even the Pap...er Pop station that we listen to at work has a very small rotation of sons that they play.

For instance, I like Led Zeppelin. Alot. In fact, you could prolly go so far as to say that I love them, but I'm sure that they recorded more than 6 fucking songs. I mean, they did release 10 albums, and I'm pretty sure they had at least 2 song on each one.

What I fail to understand, however, is why of the (at least) 80 songs they have, radio stations insist on playing only a handful. I'm to the point now that if I hear Zepp on the radio, I switch the station. Not because I don't like them, but because if I hear 'Stairway to Heaven' one more time, I'm gonna put a fuckin' bullet in my brain.

And it's not just Zepp. Creedence, Steve Miller, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Tom Petty, ZZ Top...and the list goes on. All these band have fairly extensive catalogues, and yet only 5 or 6 of their songs ever get air play.

C'mon guys, play us some new Classic Rock.

Assholes.

General Bullshit and Lies


Again, this may just be my market, but all our stations are competing for the title of 'Longest Time/Most Songs In A Row Commercial Free,' and every single one of them are fucking lying.

I don't care if you call it a 105 minute marathon(105.7), a 103 minute river run (103.7), a 95 minute music block (95.7 sensing a trend here), or even a fucking double shot if you break in at the end of EVERY FUCKING SONG with a station promo, then guess what?

You haven't even played 2 songs in a row you shits. Do you really think that we're so stupid that we've forgotten from one song to the next what station we're listening to? For crying out loud, I've only got 4 programmed, and I know all of them by button, so, please, for my sanity's sake, quit telling me what fucking station I'm listening to 1000 times a day.

Assholes.

/rant off

Ok, so that's mostly it. I'm sure I've forgotten a few things that I should have put in there, and maybe I'll copy that text out and write a real diatribe later, but don't count on it.

Oh, and something else that's pissing me off?

Well, this is kinda long so I'll tell you about that tomorrow....

Buenos con queso,

T.

3 comments:

Beth said...

I hear ya brotha.
Same here and we have a large market. Yet, they still play 'em over n over n over n over n over...

Yeah. In the words of ...well, you... it rots.

:D

sue said...

What makes me mad is even XM-Radio, who is supposed to be commercial free? Yeah... even they do it. Asshats.

T.J. said...

Wow Sue...I didn't know that.

One more reason not to join up then.

T.