Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Google maps is kinda freaking me out.....

Have you seen the new 'street view' they have?

If you haven't, search a major city (i did new york san francisco and detroit mi) on the toolbar on the map you'll see a new button labled street view. Click on that, and then keep zooming in on the map til you see the little yellow 'man.'

Click on him, or click and drag him to one of the blue outlined streets.

At this point, a window pops up with an actual photographic image of the location.

You can rotate through 360 degrees, and by clicking on arrows in the image can move up and down the streets. You can either use the arrows to rotate, or just click and drag on the image. It's pretty wild.

I'm not sure how they managed it, but if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the sent people driving around with vid cams on their cars and just used some sort of software to isolate still frames from the footage.

On second thought though, I'm not so sure. That wouldn't explain the 'full circle view' aspect of it. However they did it, it's pretty cool.

It's not available for every city (im guessing theyre working on it) but for the ones it is, it's just amazing.

On a completely unrelated note, do you know how hard it is to take a shower without getting your upper arms wet? Yeah, it's no cakewalk, let me assure you.

Mmmmm....smell that?

That's coffee.

Buenos con queso,

T.

2 comments:

Beth said...

That Google thing has me a bit freaked out, too. However, at this point, I am not worried about anyone (stalkers, etc) looking up my street. Rumor has it that those are like 3-5 year old. My subdivision is fairly new (Maybe 4 years old?) and can't even be Googled at this point, so it won't be there. :)Can't even get my street on Mapquest! Says it doesn't even exist! HA!

I am deeply saddened by the lack of football, too. Le sigh. Now what the hell am I going to do on Sun, Mon and sometimes Thurs?????

Hhhhhhhhhh.

Anonymous said...

yeah, I saw that a few months ago!! It's way freaky/cool.