Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy egg-laying Christian rabbit day.....

I want to start this post by saying this:

I was raised in a Catholic household (tho not a very strict one), so I have a lot of Catholic/Christian beliefs.

I believe that God created the Heavens and the Earth, and that he sent his only beggoten Son to Earth to save us.

I believe that Jesus died for my sins, and was ressurected 3 days later, that he could go prepare a place for me in his Father's house.

Where I get a bit hazy is how a 6-foot tall rabbit (mammal = live birth) handing out eggs (dont even get me started on the fact that theyre chicken eggs) is supposed to honor the persecution, death, and rebirth of my Lord and Saviour.

Ok, enough religion.....

I've got a movie review, if you care.

I finally got around to watching Carrie yesterday, and by finally, I mean a couple things.


First and foremost, it came out in 1976, so it's been around some 30 yrs now. Not that I would have gone to see it at the tender age of 10, but you get the picture.

Secondly, it is the first movie made from a Stephen King book, and in fact from his first published novel.

I don't know if I've mentioned what a big fan I am of Mr. King's writing, but I am. I've read most everything he's ever written.

Ok, so it's been years since I've read Carrie, so I can't do a very good movie-to-book comparision. A lot of what I remember from the book is in the movie, it's just been so long since I read it that I don't know how accurate it all is. I did notice that one line I remember from the book 'pigs blood for a pig' was not in the movie.

It was pretty good overall, and seemed to follow the story as I remember it (need to read the book again now), and even better, it had boobies in it.

Bare boobies, even. Sissy Spacek, Nancy Allen, and various others parade through a shower scene at the beginning of the movie with their goodies on display.

Oh, and the very end did give me an 'oh shit' moment, which is rare, even for scary movies. I'll need to watch it again, perhaps with the book at my side to make a final determination, but if you like Stephen King (and boobies) I'd recommend it.

Buenos con queso,

T.

4 comments:

Princess Sparkle Pants said...

See!?! I told you it was good. And that end- it STILL gives me an "oh shit" moment! I'm glad you finally got to watch it, and I think you will find that it is pretty darn true to the book. Next up should be Children of the Corn (which I doubt is SKing, but still!!!!)... we'll get you into the 90's even, one day...

Andie Pandie said...

It took me a long time to watch children of the corn. Kids creep me out so much in scary movies.

Just stopping by to say hey. :)

HoosierHerm said...

RE: Children of the Corn, That red-headed guy who plays Malachi in that movie was so damn scary, that to this day I can't see him in another movie without the hairs on the back of my neck standing up !
Even on first viewing, I thought the movie was pretty derivative, like many of that era, it could have come directly from the writer's notes for "Lord of The Flies". Even so, kinda like the legendary train-wreck, you can't quit watching it !

HoosierHerm said...

P.S. See my upcoming post about Mark Twain's "Letters from the Earth"
It's gotta be the prototype for ever scary story about evil children. ie: Damien,The Omen, Lord of the Flies, etc.