Monday, March 31, 2008

How's that for a slice of fried gold?*

So, my latest thing is this:

Inspired by my son, I'm converting/transfering my movie collection for play on my iPod. What makes this even more fun is this: Not only is all the software I found free, but I'm doing a two-stage process.

First, I put a DVD in the 'puter, and I rip it down from a 4 gig movie file to about a 1 gig mp4 file, which will play on my 'Pod. Now, while I get to wear my iPod at work and listen while I do my duties, I certainly wouldn't be allowed to sit and watch it. Also, running video absolutely kills the battery.

Thus (also inspired by michael) I then process the mp4 with a second piece of software that rips out the audio track and converts it to an mp3. Thus, I get all the goodness of the movie at a staggeringly small 150+ megs.

Not gigs, mind you, but megs. So far, I've got like 15 movies and all five seasons of Futurama on there, and it's just over two and a half gigs.

I'm in movie heaven.

Buenos con queso,

T.

*Obscure movie quote alert. If you can name the movie, I'll....well, I'll do whatever you want. Answer by email (kvenya at gmail dot com) so as not to spoil the fun.....

No comments: