Monday, March 24, 2008

I read it on the internet, so it must be true.....

I don't know if I've ever mentioned it, but I'm where internet chain letters come to die.

All those 'you've got a friend,' 'around the world,' or 'get money from Bill Gates' letters hit my inbox, and that's where they stop.

Hell, even those 'support our troops' ones don't get forwarded. It's not because I don't support our troops (i wholeheartedly do) or that I don't love and value my friends (ditto), it's just that these things are all fucking scams.

At least in my mind they are. Think about it. What these things really do is compile a list of valid email addresses. If everyone forwards it to everyone they know, in very short order, the original mailer can get a list of 10's of thousands of emails which is then sold and/or used for spam.

That's not something I read on the internet, nor has anyone else ever forwarded that idea in my presence. I came up with it all on my own.

That doesn't make it any less true though.

At least in my mind.

So, if you ever forward one of those 'send this to 10 people including the person who sent it to you' things, don't expect to hear from me. Just remember tho, it's not because I don't love you, but rather because I do.

Buenos con queso,

T.

1 comment:

Princess Sparkle Pants said...

I agree so so so so so much. For sure. I forward NOTHING. And ESPECIALLY not if it comes with a "forward this or you will get bad luck" warning, or implies that my non-forwarding means I am a bad friend. Or if it has kittens. I will NEVER forward kittens.