Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Giving you the rundown

I was over at Whiskey's Place the other day, and just in case she's changed it, there was a post about past jobs, and it got me to thinking about my past lives.

I guess when we talk about jobs, we tend to talk about our 'worst job ever.' Or our best job ever. Between those extremes, thers a multitude of shades, and I've had my fair share.

My first job was as a dishwasher in the family coffee shop. I worked one day a week, and got...I don't know how much, but I got to eat free, so that was cool.

I've done telemarketing work, and no, not the good kind.

I've made pizza. Hell, I've done everything involved with the making of pizza, from ordering and mixing the supplies (all the places i worked made their own dough) to meat and veggie prep to the assembly, cooking, and slicing of said pie.

I can do it all, baby!!

I did my stint at Mc D's (2 weeks), I spent a hellish couple of months cleaning the butcher shop at the grocery store where my dad worked, and I've run a hundred cash registers.

Every one of those jobs? Yeah, they had aspects that I hated. Hell, I prolly even said at some point 'I hate my job' during all the afore mentioned professions. There were also good things. Mostly, I've had the good fortune to work with good people. People you can joke with.

Of all the jobs I've had, I can't believe I'm remembering this one fondly, but I kinda miss working at 7-ELEVEn.

I know I've talked about it here before, but it's been a while, so I'll give you a short recap:

I was living in Morro Bay CA, going to school 12 units a semester, and working 40 hrs a week at the 7-11. Happily, it was just down the street from my house, so the commute was virtually nonexistent.

So, anyway, the job. It ate my brain. I hated that job sometimes. There were days when I was flabbergasted. Once, a guy almost drove his truck into the store. I saw things that no man should see.

It was like society walked in and showed me it's naked ass.

In fact, the title of this little blog here is named after my time there. It has to do with the nature of the industry, you see. The 'C' stores are based on a simple fact: People will pay more for something if they're in a hurry and know they can get it fast.

I get it. I mean hell, I use them too.

I found out from waiting on them though, that they're the most inconvenient segment of society to wait on. Add that to the fact that I was in a resort town with a state park, a couple beaches, and a colf course, and you begin to see my dilema.

It was Hell.

But, there were goot times even there.

Tomorrow, I'll share one with you.

Buenos con queso,

T.

RSTO: 9. The nameless lunch exercises.

1 comment:

HoosierHerm said...

Veddy Interesting !
I'll be back later for the next chapter.