Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Little boxes on the hillside, Little boxes made of ticky tacky, Little boxes on the hillside, Little boxes all the same,

Ok, so I guess I should tell you that I've started watching Weeds. I hate to say it, but it's become a bit of an obsession.

I hesitate to say that I'm in love again, because we all know where that leads.....

The series has had a good run though....I mean they are on their 5th season, so perhaps they're immune. I've never really tested the limits of my show killing power, so we're in a bit of a grey area here....

In any event, Michael brought the series with him, and I've been watching them almost non-stop for 3 days or so now.

Well, less time to go to work and all, but you get the picture.

Let see, the show...

It's witty, it's dark, it's gritty and stark.

It's an exploration of the limits of human endurance, and it's about the depths of a mother's love.

It blurs the lines between right and wrong.

If you can find the time, I highly recommend you give it a look. I'd Netflix the 1st season or 2 before you try and watch anything current tho. I'm only on the 3rd season, and so much has happened that you'd be totally in the dark without some background.....

Ok, enough deep stuff.

On to the funny.

You all know my friend, L. Well, actually, none of you know L....Well, Michael does, and my Mom's met her, but you know what I mean....

Anyhow, she's looking for an air compressor for her S.O. for his upcoming birthday. I priced a couple at work for her, and she's been looking around Reno as well. So, about 10 minutes ago, she calls me and says 'I've got to tell you the funniest story.'

It seems she went into a Metropawn in Reno in search of the aforementioned compressor. The helpful salesman showed her the 3 that they had in stock. She, of course, is trying to get the best deal, and he quotes her '65 bux for any of these.'

Prudently, she asks about return policies and such, and the helpful salesman offers to 'fire it up right here and test it for you.' So, he sets it on the counter, plugs it in and turns it on.

Now, if you've never heard a compressor run, well then, you don't know that they're pretty loud. Even the smaller, affordable ones that she's looking at. So, it's cycling up, making a grand racket, and L notices that there's oil leaking. Well, just about the time she notices, and before she can say anything, there's a loud *BANG* and a piece of the motor flies off.

Apparently, it was like the oil plug or something, because the compressor is now spraying oil all over the fucking place.

Needless to say, she passed on that one, and will prolly be coming down to see me at work. See, she trusts me.

She also knows where I live.....

Anyhow, she shared, and I had to pass it along.

Buenos con queso,

T.

4 comments:

Whiskeymarie said...

We're either on season 3 or 4 of Weeds, and though I thought I'd never get enough of this show, I think it's losing it's charm. I'll watch it until the end, but sometimes when you start with a premise like this one- and the first two seasons are so "out there"- there isn't really anywhere else to go but down.

HoosierHerm said...

I've watched Weeds a few times, early in the 1st season, and occasionally since then. I'm with whiskey, in that they did start off just intensely weird and unpredictable, so it's hard to maintain that level of writing. Kind of like when Northern Exposure got picked-up for multiple seasons, and they had about two seasons worth of quirky shit already written.

The Air Compressor story was great ! Sounds like a skit from SNL or Second City !


Code Word = "Focureez"
Defined as = " When I cast my bait towards the banks, it keeps getting hung up in those focureez !

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a mess!

I haven't thought about Northern Exposure in a LONG time. Miss that one!

Hope you're having a good week :)

~graffloz~

T.J. said...

Whiskeymarie: I'll grant you, it starts off in a strange place, but I'm half-way through season 4 (will be caught up today) and I have to say, they always seem to find a pretty amazing way to take the story further.....

Herm: I was a big fan of Northern Exposure too. I didn't watch it regularly enough, so I prolly didn't notice the changes as much. Aren't you glad you weren't the guy that had to clean up all the oil?.....

Q: Having a pretty good week, actually. Especially as I'm done with work for the next 3 days. Ahhhhh.