Saturday, July 25, 2009

So. I guess I had you at a disadvantage.....

See, I knew I wasn't going to be posting for a couple days, and I could totally have mentioned that I was going to be away, but I elected not to.

I'm sure you're all wondering what could have possibly pulled me away from posting for 2 straight days.

I'm happy to say that I got to do something with my days off that I haven't gotten to do in a while. Michael and I went into Reno to hang at my friend L's house.

You've heard me talk about her a lot here.

Ok, so I've got a ton of photos and a really good tale to tell, so this post is going to be monster long.

I hope you're ready for it.....

We went up Thursday afternoon, and just hung out. Had a few beers, watched some tv. Checked out S's (l's bf) bad ass '58 Olds (if you want to see pix of it tell me).

Friday, L had a hair appointment, and Michael and I were thrift store bound. There's a cool one right down the street from her house, so that's where we started. While there, I/we found an absolutely amazing table for $5.00. I'm not putting pix of that up yet, as I want to dedicate and entire post to the table.

Also, there were some other wonders to behold, including:

A top of the line, smokin' hot 56k modem:




A phone:




THE PHONE:



The ubiquitous 110 camera:



An anatomically correct plastic bull:




That's still givin' me the creeps:



Am I the only one that remembers seeing these growing up:




And, really?




Seriously?

Ok, after that we went hunting for a Savers that's on Kietzke Ln. Now, you should know that I don't really know my way around Reno very well, so this was kinda like an unguided safari into hostile territory.

I'm happy to say that we found the thrift store, but not before we drove past a store with a highly suspect name:




Once upon a child? Really? Maybe it's just me, but that sounds like a bad thing.

The Savers store was a bit corporate and overpriced. I did, however, find a copy of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency , which I've been hunting for years now. It was a steal at .69¢.

From there, we headed back to L's to wait for her to be done at the salon. While chillin' at the pad, I picked up a copy of US, cause I'm a shameless whore for celebrity magazines.

Now, I know I brought it upon myself by picking the mag up in the first place, but I still saw possibly the most disturbing print ad I've ever encountered:




Take a closer look:





I mean, do we really need that?

Ok, so L showed up, and the 3 of us took off to hit a couple other thrift stores. The 1st one we headed to was closed, so fuck them.

The second one had, I shit you not, the perfect match to the table we found in the 1st store.

Also priced at $5.00.

We bought that, of course, and I found another book I've been searching for a copy of, namely Enchanter's Endgame. We zipped back to L's and spent the rest of the night just hangin' out.

All in all, it was a great way to spend a couple days off, and I'm glad that you came along.

Buenos con queso,

T.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, those are some great gems! Once Upon A Child is a resale shop with kids stuff in it. And as for that print at, there's a video for it, too!

Word is: woods - how boring! Unless...

Beth said...

I'm not quite sure what to make of all this. I'll have to get back to you on it.

*meanwhile humps*

HoosierHerm said...

LoL, Yes, "Once upon a Child" is Not in any way related to the late great Micheal Jackson ! Back here in Indiana, where I believe the chain began, they have this really annoying little lyric in their radio ad's, which seem to play a Lot, especially on Country stations?
The Bull is definitely anatomically "incorrect", as his balls appear to be where a female cow's udder would be, instead of dangling further back, at the end of a rather large Taint? Maybe it's a transgendered Bull ??


Code Word = "idablit"
Usage = What a really drunk guy calls an Idiot ?

Kelwhy said...

that's quite a post... LOL! you are the thrift store king - can't wait to see this table...

love the print ad too - that's a riot...

T.J. said...

Q: Yes, I get it. Like Play It Again Sports. Still sounds wrong.

Video? Me = scared.

Bliss: Heh.

Herm: If by incorrect you mean 'wrong' then yes, 'cause this thing is just that....wrong!!

Kelwhy: Heh...It's good to be King...And actually, it's 2 tables. Should be a post real soon.