Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Does anybody really know what time it is....

Does anybody really care about time?

Those are lyrics from a Chicago song, I believe. I know the song, I'm just not sure who sings it. I bring it up now, because last night I had an insight into just how irrelevant clock time has actually become.

Why is my 5am New York's 8am? Why do we feel the need for time zones? I've driven across timezones in my travels, and guess what? There's no difference between the two sides. In fact, if your house was built in the right place, you could conceivably split it with one of those time zone lines. Imagine it if you will.

It's 8am in the kitchen, and 9 am in your room. How fucked up is that? I carried this personal grudge against time and time zones for quite some time, but last night was the kicker. I saw an ad for one of the 'pause live tv' systems. May have been Tivo, but I don't recall for sure.

What I figured out last night is that the dvr, as they call it, has made time even less relevant. You come home, get your end of day stuff done, and sit down to watch the shows you've recorded. Your 4pm soap opera starts at 9pm now. It's an hour long, but you do fast forward through the commercials right?

So, now that hour long show is 50 mins or so. The next show is the same, and so on. Soon you've got all this extra time, but you still go to bed when your shows are over.

I think there should be a Universal Time. I mean, how hard would it be, really? Pick a day, it doesn't matter which, but make it the same day all over the world, and just say 'Ok....right now, it's 12:00 am. Gentlemen, start your clocks.' Then it would be the same time all over the world, and all this madness would end.

Hell, time's just something we made up anyhow, so why not?

Just my $0.02.

T.

No comments: