Tuesday, February 03, 2009

For want of a nail the shoe was lost, For want of a shoe the horse was lost, For want of a horse the rider was lost...

For want of a rider the battle was lost, For want of a battle the kingdom was lost, And all for the want of a horse.

I wanted that whole thing to be my title, but apparently, there's a limit to how long your title can be....

Who'da thunk it?

I kinda found that quote by accident. See, the other day, I was thinking about 'want' titles, and I jotted down the phrase 'For want of a horse, the kindom was lost,', which is a strangely truncated rephrasing of the above quote.

I must have been 8 or 9 (maybe younger) when I heard that, and for whatever reason it's been kicking around my subconscious ever since. Imagine my surprise when today, while searching out 'want' quotes (and yes i got a couple) I ran into the unabridged version.

I was then further shocked to find out that Ben Franklin was the one that said it.

How did I not know that?

In any event, I think I've almost decided not to use 'want' titles for every post this month. Then again, who knows?

I'm on the phone with my son as I type this, just so you know.

Those of you on the change train should know that he's planning to ship me some more to spread around.

I'm not sure exactly when that will be happening, though, so just keep a weather eye on your slot.

Or your hole.

Or whatever.

Buenos con queso,

T.

What I want Part 3: Musical talent i.e. playing the guitar.

4 comments:

Princess Sparkle Pants said...

You know what I want? You to be on Twitter. And use it. It's sooo fun.

T.J. said...

Uh...I am on twitter.....

I guess I could use it more tho.

T.

Princess Sparkle Pants said...

What's your user name? I'm PSPants. Well, duh.

T.J. said...

Do you really need me to answer that?

Heh.

T.