Saturday, February 28, 2009

I want abundance to end hunger.

It's one of those things I know we could do.

Lets face it, a lot of food gets wasted every day. A great portion of it prolly happens right here in the good ol' U. S. of A. I remember watching a movie a long time ago. The premise is that Robin Williams (one of my atfs) and a friend have defected from the U.S.S.R. (remember them) and are now living in New York.

There's a scene in the movie that pretty much sums it up. Robin has gone to the store to get some supplies, and in the midst of the (i think) bread aisle, he becomes overwhelmed at the 'white bread,wheat bread,whole grain bread,french bread, sourdough french bread,' and so forth. The movie was made in 1984, but that scene still hits home.

Imagine a place somewhere, I don't have a name in particular, but it's the place where they send the cameras for the 'sponsor a child' things. A village of people nearly dead, and getting closer every day. They can't find anything to eat, and every grocery store in town (7 in carson in think + 2 superwalmarts) has dozens, if not hundreds of loaves in each of what, 15 different kinds of bread?

And that's just bread, for crying out loud. And if that bread doesn't sell in what, a week or so, they come in, replace it, and take the old stuff out and get rid of it. Where does it go? I mean, sure, some of it ends up at the so called day old bread stores, but I'm sure they have a limit on how long they're allowed to keep it too.

So, take that bread, and multiply it by the fresh meat, and raise it to the power of the fresh produce in your local grocery, and then by every city in America. That's a lot of stuff going to waste.

It's one of thoes things, tho. We couldn't do it by ourselves. It kinda ties in with yesterday's post about understanding. If people just understoond one another, and wanted to help one another, it would be easy.

If we all gave a little, we'd all have a lot.




In a totally unrelated (or not) story, I recently took a quiz online to see 'what kind of handgun' I would be. I'm sure you're seen those things online.

The Zombie Survival Quiz.

The inevitable 'How Geeky/Nerdy' are you quiz.

Anyhow, I had to chuckle over one question in particular.

If you were stranded on a desert island which of these would you most want with you, and the choices were Paris Hilton and Martha Stewart. It was a tough decision. I mean, I'm not attracted to Martha , and I don't really want to have sex with her. In that regard, she's just like Paris.

Is she a spoiled bitch like Paris? I have no idea.

Do I think either of them would be any help in building a shelter? I mean, Martha could decorate it, and Paris could get laid in it, but help build it?

I don't think so.

Faced with these two, after some consideration, I chose Martha for a couple reasons.

First,when it gets down to the 'there's no food so it's canabilism time,' she's got more meat on her bones.

And secondly, I'll bet with all the sweets and stuff she eats she'd taste better too. I mean, how good can meet marinated in champagne and coke taste?

Buenos con queso,

T.

What I want, Part 28: I Want Candy

No comments: