Saturday, February 21, 2009

I want to know if anyone else has noticed this.....

I promised to blog about this some time ago, and now I'm finally getting around to it.

Well, maybe promised is too strong a word.

I did mention that I was going to blog about a recurring theme in my life, but most likely, you paid it scant attention.

I can't say I blame you.

This thing I'm about to share though? I've been noticing it since I was 11 years old. I remember it well, because that was the year that I moved to Nevada.

My life changed quite a bit that summer, mostly because we had moved here from California, and things are quite different here. It was shortly after we moved that I started seeing 'Nevada shaped things.'

Now, all you have to do is look at a map to see that the shape of Nevada, while not some convoluted mess like other states, it's not a shape one would reasonably expect to find.

I found that not to be the case. It's strange, and it doesn't happen every day, but it covers a wide range of items.

From broken glass:




To the interplay of light and shadow:




From accidentally folded napkins:




To pieces of scrap wood:




I've seen the shape appear all over the place. And not just when I'm in Nevada, I'll have you know. I found several on one of our trips to Dland. I may have mentioned that one of the souvenirs I usually buy is a couple bags of tumbled stones. They range from quartz, to agate, to various jaspers and the like. I'm sure you've seen them, in a Nature Company store or something like that.

Just big bins of polished stones. I like them, and usually pick them one by one, rather than just filling a bag at random. This allows me to do 2 things, first I get to find really cool rocks, but it also affords me the opportunity to hunt for the hematites.

You see, I like hematite. It's black, it's shiny, and, for it's size, it's heavy. I like things that are disporportionately heavy for their size. I'm not sure why, but I do.

Now, after leading you on the rambling path, I can hear you asking 'what the fuck does that have to do with Nevada shaped things?'

Well, I'm glad you asked.

See, I found not one, but five of these:




That my friends, is a hematite, and it's an almost perfect Nevada shape.

Deal with that.

Buenos con queso,

T.

What I want, Part 21: Every book ever written, and the time to read them

3 comments:

Beth said...

AH. Now I get why I have one of those. ;) It's very purrrty. I think it's my fave out of the whole baggy. :)

Beth said...

Oh, and was that ring like...an engagement ring, or what? :P

T.J. said...

Heh. I just thought you might like a ring.....

I'm not ready for a commitment just yet....

It's the whole '1000 miles apart and never met' thing...

T.