Friday, February 06, 2009

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, well, you just might find, you get what you need

That's Mick and the boys.

I'm not the biggest Stones fan in the world, but they have quite a few songs that I really dig; the above being one of them.

I've been planning on using the quote for a title, but I wanted to have a good reason, because, in addition to being a cool like from a cool song by a cool band, it has a very personal connotation for me as well.

This will take a bit of set up, so, bear with me.

This scene happened in 1986....I think.

I was hanging out with my cousin Randy at his work/home. See, he worked on an Arabian horse ranch, and had a room there. Cool, right?

So anyhow, we're hanging out shooting the shit, and somehow get around to the topic of Troy (one of our buds) getting married. Well, the family that Troy hails from married into my family some years back, and now we're all kinda family and stuff.

So, we start talking about the wedding (theres no question were both going) and it dawns on me that we'll see Kim there. I look at my cousin, and say 'Anoter S------ wedding, you know what that means....'

He looks up and says 'Kim.'

I nod.

I should mention at this point that the abovementioned Kim is a smokin' fuckin' hottie, and we had long harboured a lust for her. She was a close friend of Troy's family, and I'd seen her at numerous weddings, wanting her every time, but knowing that it was impossible....See, I was what 9? 10? And she was prolly late teens...

You still dream tho, right?

So anyway, I nod and Randy says 'Yeah, she wants me.'

Almost without thinking, I say 'Yeah, but she needs me...Then the above line occured to me, and out it came.. Then, in a fit of even more inspiration, grinning I sang the words...

'I saw her today at the re-ception,' clearly covered in win.

My cousin responded with 2 middle finger salutes, confirming my victory.

A few years ago, Randy died. He was just about 9 months older than me, and in addition to being my cousin, he was one my best friends. We spend a good portion of our formative years hanging out.

He's someone else I miss almost every day.

Anyhow, as this title had some meaning, I wanted to save it, waiting for a sign. I got it yesterday. The line was going through my head as I headed down to my car, and when I started it up, Mick said 'I saw her today at the re-ception,' and my commute lasted just long enough for me to hear the whole song.....

I took that as a sign.

Buenos con queso,

T.

What I want Part 6: My very own 9-hole golf course

4 comments:

Princess Sparkle Pants said...

AND, here we go again. Janie will attest that this is the song that will be played at my funeral, a la in The Big Chill. I have already started to teach her how to play it!

T.J. said...

I guess I should just start expecting these strange similarities....

T.

Anonymous said...

Definitely a sign. So what did you do about it?

T.J. said...

Well, I used the quote for this title....grin.

T.