Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Big Karma versus little karma.

I'm a big believer in the whole 'what comes around, goes around' philosophy, in the huge, lifetime-spanning, galactic sense of it, but also in a more personal way. There have been a lot of interesting things happening lately. One thing, and I've been putting of the inevitable by not posting it, is that I lost my Carmex.

This, in my personal timeline, is a tragedy of major proportions for 2 reasons. I've had this particular jar for nearly 2 years now. That's a long time to carry something around. I felt like I'd lost a finger. Also, it was the only one I'd had long enough to be almost empty.

Needless to say, I was devastated. My silence stemmed from an almost religious aversion that by speaking the words, it would become true. It's been at least 2, if not 2 and a half weeks since the disappearance. I decided on my way to work this morning to share the story.

Now, a word about my personal karma in a rather general way. There are three possessions, all of which I own multiples of at any given time that I have the worst karma with.

In no particular they are: hairbrushes, remote controls, and sunglasses.

My hairbrush, as those of familiar with my hair can well understand, is an important thing. Usually, within weeks of finding the perfect one, it will go A.W.O.L., to be replaced by an, at best, pale copy.

Remotes are another story. Some devices are very remote intensive. Some functions only work with the O.E.M. devices. I once found my t.v. remote in the washer. Needless to say, it was a goner. Had a JVC VCR remote stop working in my hand once.

I guess I lied. I suppose I did leave sunglasses for last. Prepare yourself for a sad tale. In my short career, I've lost 2 pairs of Vuarnets, 1 pair of Sun Cloud Rose, and I found and lost a pair of Ray-Ban's on the same day. That doesn't even begin to scrape the surface of all the shades I've lost since I stopped paying more that 4 or 5 bucks on a pair. The last pair I bought, I just lost. I think it may have been the same night my Carmex went renegade.

Well, I didn't technically lose them, I suppose.

Just the left lens.

So, that brings us to this morning. I'm nearly to work, when I decided to spill the beans. Come clean, if you will. I get home (got a surpirse ride home ++) came upstairs, got into a pair of shorts, and started up my puter. Ready to see if I can even post, I look down for no reason at all.

There, sitting in plain sight, was my beloved Carmex. Heh, so I decided to write about karma. I read, couldn't decided exactly how I wanted to start the post. I shut down, and went to watch some C.S.I. If you like the show, SpikeT.V. is running it btb all week. Pop's says "need some beer?"

Wph.

He know's I do.

"You need smokes", I ask, knowing he does. "I'll go get you smokes if you're offering beer." Shoeless, I headed to the corner store. Yes, shoeless. Hey, I put a shirt on, cut me some slack. I pay for the beer and the smokes, and take $1.25 out of the change, and drop a quarter in the keno machine.

I set my ticket and push play. I start putting the rest of the money away, notice I have 2 out of 4. Then 3. One of the last numbers? Yeah. 4 out of 4. Hit the cashout button. Investment, 0.25., return $24.00. Time of investment, less than a minute. Wish I could get that kind of return on my market choices.

On the way home, pleased with my luck, I came to a realization. It's Wednesday. I've had 2 good Thursdays in a row. I'm afraid.

Well, I'm going to go read for a bit now.

Buenos con queso,

T.

9 comments:

Beth said...

Wow. That karma's some crazy shit, innit?

Congrats on the Carmex thing, I know how that can be.

Congrats on the Keno thing, too. That rawks.

I never win anything. *sigh*

Good luck tomorrow. ;)

Beth said...

Oh, I have to ask... how did the remote get in the washer?????

T.J. said...

Imagine the scene: I'm in a fit of laundry. I'm also watching t.v. I take a load to the washer, and come back to watch t.v. I tear the room apart looking for my remote.

Well, when I went to move my laundry to the dryer, I found the remote. Never worked again, and lost about 1/2 the menu functions, as I was unable to find an original remote.

Sigh. Ancient history tho. Don't even have the t.v. anymore.

T.

Sandra Vahtel said...

four things:

1. Carson City is not Alabama -- put some shoes on, boy!
2. How long is your hair, anyway?
3. Carmex...karma...coincidence? I think not.
4. What kind of beer was it?

T.J. said...

1. I hate shoes.
2. My hair is pretty long. My 'bangs' reach to the middle of my chest, and in back, it's almost to my waist.
3. Not a coincidence, imho. It's made by carma labs in WI, and as I said in the post about it..yes, there is one in the archives...I can always use a little karma.
4. Miller Genuine Draft. The am/pm just up the way sells it for $10.99 an 18 pack. That's cheap.

T.

Kelwhy said...

HEY NOW! I live in Alabama - don't be saying stuff like that Suse - we wear shoes around here! It's those folks from Mississippi that don't wear shoes!

Sheez...

Sandra Vahtel said...

Sorry, sorry. I didn't mean to offended all you shoe-wearing Alabamins(?). I will keep all derrogatory comments to a minimum from now on.

Kelwhy said...

Thank you suse! I accept the apology...I'm actually a displaced Yankee here in the heart of the South and sometimes it's a bit hard on me trying to deal with the Alabama reputation. So - I have to stand up for them every now and then! Thanks anyway!

T.J. said...

Ladies, ladies, can't we all just get along?

Grin.

Lunch time mail check, etc.

T.