Tuesday, September 21, 2004

A jug of wine, a loaf of bread, and thou...

Ok, coffee, a bagel, and the start of a head cold. Not as poetic, of course, but infinitely more accurate.

I do have to say I'm fucking pissed. Why, you ask? Let me enlighten you. When I got off work Friday, I noticed that the wind was blowing backwards. That sounds strange, but in Carson City, the wind is very predictable. In the mornings, it blows from the East to the West. Afternoon reverses the flow. It's a phenomenon known as mountain winds.

It's a pretty basic concept, and here's the gist of it: In the morning, the sun heats the mountains which lay along the west side of the city. The warm air rises, pulling air upwards, and inwards from the valley. In the afternoon, the vally floor is heated, and reverses the flow. Pain in the ass if you ask me.

So, the wind's wrong and I know it. I'm walking out of work with J, and I tell him as much. "Gonna be a storm", I predict. Well, the wind blew all weekend, doing it wrong the whole time, but Sunday, we did get a bit of drizzle. So, the storm hit, but not that hard.

Or so I thought. As I was riding to work yesterday (yay...no walking on monday) and we came around the bend to get a glance at the mountains, I notice something just wrong. The slopes that line the Western horizon have fucking snow on them. That's way, way, way too early. It's still September, for fuck's sake.

I'm already scared of what this winter might hold.

Well, I'm off to see what you're up to, my friends.

T.

No comments: