Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Bad news for me, good news for you.

I'm stranded at work once again, and thus my loyal readers (both of you) get another post. Wow...That's 3 in 3 days.

I've decided to go ahead and post the first part of the story. It's untitled as yet, and is very much a work in progress, but here goes.


Untitled


They tell me it will help to write it down. It's some form of therapy, They say. Do I believe what They say? No. Do I do what They say? Absolutely. What They say goes.

So. Here goes.

The first time I saw her, I knew I was in trouble. I was sitting at the local it's-Friday-night-and-I-wanna-get-drunk-and-fight-someone-country-music-shit-kicker-bar, and wasn't happy about it. For one thing, it's not my bar. Not my scene, you dig? Couple that with the fact that the only reason I was there in the first place was the insistence of one of my golf partners. He'd mentioned stopping by the bar, I don't know, like 8 times between the end of the round, and actually getting to the bar. Irritating? Made my teeth itch.


So, there I sat, back to the door, drinking a draft, and getting my mope on. The door opened, and my eyes flashed to the mirror behind the bar. Backlight threw the person entering into silhouette. Then it happened. She walked up to, and then behind the bar. My breath caught in my throat. She was stunning. She was wearing a white tanktop, and displaying some impressive ink work. She had her hair up, and she was the most attractive woman I'd seen in years. Turns out she worked there. Instantly, my bad mood began to change.


She did her count, and started her shift. Now, I'm no great shakes in the looks department, or so I tell myself, but I can make a good impression when I want to. I'm funny, you see. I know a million...well, at least a few hundred jokes. And I know some pretty obscure ones too. Anytime you can get a bartender laughing with jokes she's never heard, you're doing well. Our after golf beer turned into a few, and Rikki and I were chatting like old friends when Mr. Irriataiting decides we need to leave. Reluctantly, I agreed. We gathered our friend, and our wits, and left the bar, but not before I'd secured an invite from Sabrina.


"I work graveyard on Friday. You should come by and see me." I assured her I'd be there.


That was on a Tuesday. The week seemed to crawl. Already, she was on my mind almost constantly. Friday finally arrived, and I was ready. I left work early, cashed my check, and went home to take a nap. I got up around 10:00 p.m., showered, shaved, the works. I called a cab, and went to the bar. As I entered, I was sure the wrong person was working. Then I realized that she just had her hair down. My word, but it was lovely. Brownish, blondish, and blonde highlights. It reached nearly to her waist. Again, I was a bit stunned. Long hair so does it for me. I took a seat at the bar, and ordered.


"I'm glad you made it," she said.

"Me too. I wasn't sure that was you," I replied. "You had your hair up on Tuesday, I had no idea it was so long."

"Do you like it?"

"I love long hair."

Someone called her at that point, and off she went. It was like that for most of the night. We'd just get to talking, or exchanging jokes, and someone else would need her. Irrationally, I found myself getting jealous. We did, of course, get to the topic of relationships, and I found out that she was seeing someone. While not surprising, a woman as attractive as her is never alone for long, I still felt a twinge of disappointment. It was sometime later, when I realized the sun was coming up. I'd stayed all night. I hadn't done that for years, but strangely, I wasn't tired at all. Her presence energized me. I felt alive. Then her boyfriend arrived, to wait out the end of her shift with her. She introduced us. I was so jealous of him, I could barely see. Soon after, her relief arrived, and it was time to go. The last thing she said to me was "You should come back next week. This was fun." I resolved then and there to be back.....


To be continued...

Ok...My boss showed up with seeds, so I get to eat.....grin...Great lunch, huh? Anyhow, I think that's it for now. I may post again when I get home...depends on how hot it is upstairs.

Later,


T.

2 comments:

lady godiva said...

i loved it!!!
seeds?

T.J. said...

Sunflower seeds.

The breakfast/lunch/dinner of squirrels and birds the world 'round.