Monday, August 30, 2004

Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast.

It also, apparently, hath the power to fuck with the thought process of logical, civilized minds.

I got to work, and decided to bury myself in music. I usually have something in the cd player, but it's usually low enough for me to hear the phone, just in case I get to be the one to answer it.

Today, I was set to take a break from the "Good Morning, and thank you for calling the Micrographics and Imaging program. This is T.J., how may I help you?" thing, so I put on my 'phones, wrapped the knob, and punched play. Prolly should have checked the tray first, but c'est la vie.

I had been listening to Relish when last I was at work, and the player was on shuffle. I don't know if any of you are Joan Osborne fans, but track 11 on that album is called Crazy Baby. That song has some pretty heavy lyrics.

Man, your hands are really shakin' somthin' awful
As you light your 27th cigarette.
Oh, how long have you been sitting in the darkness?
You forget.

Oh, you know you're gettin' really hard to be with.
And you're crying every time you turn around.
And you wonder why you cannot pick your head up
Off the ground.

Oh, my crazy baby
Try to hold on tight
Oh, my crazy baby
Don't put out the light, the light...the light.
The liight.

And they look at you like they don't speak your language
And you're living at the bottom of a well,
And you've swallowed all the awful bloody secrets
That you can't tell


There's more, but I promised myself I'd never put all the lyrics of a song on my blog. Heh. Too much of a space burner. Needless to say, these were not the happy, go-lucky lyrics I needed to start my day.

Even the funky, happy tunes on that album didn't help. So, I decided not to fight it, and I instead let myself sink into it. After Joan, I visited Pat Benetar (Greatest Hits), Garbage (Version 2.0), Heart (Dreamboat Annie), and Pink (Mizzundastood...prolly mispelled...oh, the irony).

That was all before lunch, and as I was listening to such sappy emotion-evoking lyrics as if you love me like music, I'll be your song and the like, it just got worse. It's like that sometimes. You ladies will understand. Not sure any guys read here, but some of them may too.

Sometimes, without even knowing it, a good cry can really reset your emotional barometer. As evidence, I brought all the girls home at lunch, and listened to rock for the rest of the day. If the likes of 'Blackout' (The Scorpions), and Welcome to the Jungle (Guns and Roses) couldn't wash away the blues, then they can't be washed.

It's almost midnight now, and I'm going to go have my cry.

Later,

T.

5 comments:

lady godiva said...

can't say much today - except that i agree...
and that i have a feeling you'll be feeling a bit better today - having been reset and all...

T?....what are worm gears?

lady godiva said...

T - *she says in a huff*
my comment is gone!

ok - here goes unemtional edited version....

i agree about the resetting - hope today finds you a bir refreshed from the blues...
and

what is a worm gear?

T.J. said...

Heh...gone but not forgotten. Grin. It magically appeared.

Worm gears are pairs of gears, usually at right angles, consisting of a worm gear (long, with the teeth on the outside) and a worm wheel (looks like a standard gear). Take for example, the steering box in your car. There is a worm gear on the (I'm going to regret saying this, I know it) shaft of the steering column, and as you turn the wheel, the worm gear transforms an up and down motion to a side-to-side motion, which is transferred to the front suspension of your car. Unless, of course, you have rack and pinion steering.

ExampleIt's also a quote from Life, the Universe, and Everything, a book by Douglas Adams.

T.

Anonymous said...

At the moment all I am hearing is Norwegian folk music or the sound of rain falling. Did you have a good cry?

Michelle (aka Windspirit)

T.J. said...

Rain is good. And no. See today's post.

T.